This page provides a starting point when dealing with equipment or piping according the Pressure Equipment Directive. The first step is usually to determine the classification category of the equipment or piping. This classification defines the further requirements such as material certificates, design method and calculations, testing and documentation requirements.
PED classification procedure in short
- Provide a tag (or equipment) number and optionally a name to identify the subject item
- Indicate the type of equipment which will define one of the three table groups (1,2,3,4 or 5 or 6,7,8,9)
- Only for the pressure accessory it is required to indicate the assessment background (volume or nominal size of pipe)
- Select the fluid state and group, this will define the applicable table
- Enter the maximum pressure, maximum temperature (is sometimes required for example generators), the volume (for equipment and accessories) or thenominal diameter DN (for piping and accessories)
- The additional information is required to be selected where applicable to determine possible exceptions to the classification tables